MY HEALTHY MAY NOT BE YOUR HEALTHY


Healthy living is a lot easier said than done.



I think the main problem is that we constantly compare ourselves to others instead of thinking about what healthy actually means to us and finding out what works for us personally.



I spent years comparing myself to other people. 

The exercise they were doing, the food they were eating, how toned they were…  

I really wasn’t in a good place and was feeling uncomfortable in my own skin.  

I thought I wasn’t as fit as everyone around me and felt I didn’t look as good as them either.  

This self comparison leaves you feeling low in self confidence, self esteem and it may even make you feel like giving up. 

I’ve finally cracked WHAT HEALTHY MEANS TO ME and after years of battling I now know what works for me.

What does it mean to be healthy and to live a healthy lifestyle?


It’s actually really hard to define the word healthy because it’s so unique to everyone.

When I looked health up in the online dictionary it said:

“The state of being free from illness or injury”

“A person's mental or physical condition”

This definition is so broad!!!  

Healthy is not a one size fits all thing.  Healthy looks different on every body because everybody is different.



Take nutrition for example…  

Making sure you get the right nutrition is necessary to live a healthy lifestyle. Everybody requires a well-balanced diet in order to get enough of the vitamins, nutrients and minerals it needs to stay healthy.

People often say to me "oh I couldn’t go without eating meat" or "Yuck!!  I wouldn’t eat chickpeas or beetroot burgers or any of that rabbit food you post"...  



That’s totally fine because you don’t have to.  

Going meat free is something that works for me.  That doesn’t mean it will work for you.  

My healthy isn’t necessarily going to be healthy for you.  

The key is to find healthy foods that fit with YOUR tastes and lifestyle because that’s the diet you will enjoy which means you will be more likely to stick to it.



Movement is another essential part of a healthy life. Physical fitness keeps your weight in check, helps you sleep better, improves cardiovascular health and generally prolongs your life.



People often say to me “Oh I couldn’t lift weights like you do” or “I couldn’t go running on the treadmill for an hour, I’d be so bored”.  

That’s totally fine, you don’t have to!  

It really doesn’t matter what you do.  Anything that gets you up and moving is a bonus.  Walking, jogging, circuit training, cycling, football, swimming, surfing, weight training, tennis, hurling, rowing….  The list is endless.  What’s important is that you find a match for YOU.  Finding something you enjoy doing will mean that you stick to it.

Getting a good night’s sleep is another vital part of a healthy life because your body rejuvenates while you sleep.  



Think about how much sleep kids get at night (well most of them).  They sleep a lot more than adults and they have 100 times the energy!!

Again, the hours of sleep you need is a totally personal thing.  I need a solid 7 hours of sleep in order to function as a human, but you may only need 6 to feel refreshed.  You probably already know how much sleep your body needs so it’s important to get to bed early enough so that you’re guaranteed you get it. 

Stress is another major player in a healthy lifestyle.  



We all feel stressed from time to time, it’s unavoidable I’m afraid.  

Stress is how we feel when we face demands we’re not sure we can meet. The body responds by releasing stress hormones. These hormones make blood pressure, heart rate, and blood sugar levels go up. Long-term stress can cause lots of health problems.
 
Stress is a normal part of everyday life.  

We can’t change it but we can change how we deal with it.



Try to be mindful.  

Try to identify the things that cause you stress.  Once you identify what’s stressing you out don’t keep it to yourself.  Talk to someone or write your thoughts down.  This can make the problem feel a lot more manageable.

Like the other components of health, stress is a very personal thing.  Some people perform better when they experience a little stress others will fold.  Something that stresses me out may be a motivation for you.  

Don’t compare yourself to others.  Keep the blinkers on and focus on YOU!

I think that being happy is another major part of living a healthy life.  



The clichΓ©, "laughter is the best medicine" is there for a reason.  

You can have the best diet, the best exercise regime, the best sleep and a stress free life but what is the point of it all if you’re not happy?  

Being happy when you get out of bed in the morning will make you more driven to get on with your day and be the best version of you possible.  You'll want to take care of your body and you will be more inclined to stick to a healthy diet and exercise program. 

I know that life can throw some curve balls our way at times.  


If we meet them head on and keep a positive attitude we will overcome them.  

No matter what life sends your way try to smile and have fun.  

Do more of the things you enjoy and take some time out for yourself.  

It’s self care, not selfish.

THE BOTTOM LINE


Every single one of us is different.



Healthy for me may be unhealthy for you.

Find a way to take care of YOU so that you can live your healthiest happiest life.

Comparison doesn’t work.

Remember, being YOU is a beautiful thing.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Connections

PROTEIN BARS

S C O N E M A D