WHOOPS-A-DAISY


Liam and I spent the Bank Holiday weekend on the Dingle Peninsula celebrating Liam’s 40th birthday.  I hadn’t been to Dingle since I was a little girl.  I had no memory of being there until my Dad told me so it was lovely to go back to soak it up.  

What an amazing part of the country.  It’s so beautiful.  We drove along the Wild Atlantic Way from Limerick and had a few stops along the way.  

We walked Inch beach in the beautiful sunshine...

BREATHTAKING!!!
  
Inch Beach

It's by far one of the nicest beaches I’ve ever seen.  With the dramatic backdrop of the dunes and the surrounding mountains I'm not surprised it's been used as a location for so many movies.  

We also caught a colorful sunset on the late great Paidi O Shea’s, Ventry beach.  Another little gem of the Dingle Peninsula.

Ventry Beach at sunset

We were delighted to find that our visit coincided with the Dingle Arts festival, Feile Na Bealtaine.  Dingle town was absolutely electric for the entire weekend. 

As far as festivals go it was by far the quirkiest and most varied I've ever experienced.  

From pagan raves to poetry readings to the biggest sing song I’ve ever been part of in the yard at the back of Dick Macs pub at 2 o clock in the afternoon to the delicate sounds of “Seasta” on the grand piano and the electronic sounds of an up and coming “girl power” band called Wyvern Lingo on the “Other Voices” stage in St James’ Church.  

Wyvern Lingo

I was mesmerised by a talk by Dr Niamh Shaw, an engineer, scientist and performer who has set herself a life’s mission to travel to space, as an artist and explorer. She hopes that by sharing the human story behind a trip like this she can help us better understand our place in space and the beauty of our planet.

Niamh Shaw

We had another inspiring talk from Dr Bill Hanlon who set up the Basic Health International Foundation Organisation in 2003. Having spent years traveling in high-altitude areas around the world he saw first-hand the medical needs in the most isolated and remote communities on earth.   He is also the first Wexford man to climb the world's tallest mountain, Mount Everest.  

Bill Hanlon

It was a wonderful weekend and I would highly recommend the festival.

The highlight for me was an outdoor meditation and nature walk with the “Dingle Druid” on Monday morning, something that will stay with me for a long time.  

It was a little bit more than a meditation if I’m honest.  It was about welcoming the re-birth of the trees, the flowers and the animals, celebrating their beauty and welcoming the summer months with open arms.

An Deiseart Gardens
 
The setting in "An Deiseart Gardens" was absolutely beautiful.  It was like a small amphitheater surrounded by trees.  It was serene and peaceful and the birds were in fine voice.  

Having had a bad experience with meditation before, I cringed when we arrived at the location to find 4 women sitting around in a circle.  I have to admit I was reluctant to stay but Liam was keen so we took a seat and I’m so glad we did.

Of all the beautiful images she presented to us her use of the simple daisy as a metaphor of how to live our lives really caught me. 

A little bit of sunshine

Daisies have a beautiful bright yellow center surrounded by a vibrant white light!  

Although they appear delicate they are strong and durable.  

No matter how many times you walk on them, mow them down or put weed killer on them you cannot keep them away!  

We use the phrase “whoops-a-daisy” all the time to encourage kids to get up when they fall down.  

The daisy has a nickname, thunder flower because it blooms even more bountifully during thunder storms.  Since it stands unharmed afterwards it represents protection from lightning and this is why lots of people grow them inside the house too!

Thunder Flower

I just love this and it has sparked a real love for daisies in me. 

I have fond childhood memories of daisies…  

A daisy chain

I have fond memories of plucking the white petals off a daisy saying “he loves me, he loves me not” and making daisy chains when we were kids.  

He Loves me, he loves me not

Daisies are like a symbol of innocence and youth.  

They are also a symbol of simpler times past.  This is why the hippies of the sixties used daisies as part of their style and wore them behind their ears.
Flower Power

The daisies message is one of hope and renewal 🌸🌸

What’s not to love about that??  

It’s hard not to smile when you see one 😊😊

Have a great day ☮✌

Geoffrey Chaucer
Of all the flowers in the meadow,

I love these red and white flowers the most,
Such as men call daisies in our town,
For them, I have great affection,
When May comes, Before dawn,
I am up and walking in the meadow,
To see this flower again
That blissful sight chases away all my sorrow.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Human Connections

PROTEIN BARS

S C O N E M A D